Citizens Police Academy
The Citizens Police Academy is a free course for citizens. The course is sponsored by the Boone Police Department. The Academy will be facilitated and presented by sworn Boone Police Officers and/or civilian employees who are subject matter experts in their topic. The citizens can connect and learn about the Boone Police Department.
The Citizens Police Academy is designed to give the citizens a great insight into the police department. The intent of the Academy is not to train community members to become police officers, but to show citizens firsthand the daily responsibilities and expectations of the members of our department.
Academy modules will be a blend of traditional classroom time, demonstrations, and student participation scenario-based training exercises.
It is our goal for the citizens that attend the Academy to not only learn about police functions, but also think about their role in contributing to a safer town and community.
- Welcome & Orientation / Police Department Tour / Police Department Budget
- Community Resources Unit / Community Liaison Unit
- Use of Force / Body Worn Cameras
- Patrol Division / K9 Program / SWAT
- Criminal Investigations Division: General Investigations Unit / Special Investigations Unit (Narcotics & Internet Crimes Against Children)
- Community Policing
- Virtual Reality Training for Law Enforcement
- End of Course Discussion / Graduation Ceremony
- Ride Along Opportunity
The Citizens Police Academy allows Officers to gain citizen input, enhance communication and sustain support from the citizens and residents of Boone. The Academy will allow citizens to be involved and interact with the Police Department. Citizens will also learn the daily duties of an officer, insight into specialized units, learn about innovative crime-fighting strategies, the department’s community involvement, and legal and constitutional guidelines police officers must follow in the performance of their duties.
The purpose of the Citizens Police Academy is to help the citizens understand how law enforcement and local police operate in their community. The citizens will also get to be introduced and learn more about the men and women who are protecting their community. It is our goal for the citizens to understand the decisions that are made by our officers. Citizens will gain an appreciation of the problems and challenges facing law enforcement.
Who Can Attend?
- At least 18-years old
- Reside in Watauga County
- Be willing to commit to attending a 2-hour session once a week for 8 weeks.
- No felony or higher level misdemeanor convictions that question the moral character of the applicant.
- No pending criminal cases. This is to include serious misdemeanors and/or felonies
- Citizens will need to complete a detailed enrollment application and submit it to the Boone Police Department.
- Citizens who apply will undergo a background investigation which will include a criminal history check. The applicant’s criminal history will be evaluated based on the severity of the criminal offense and the time of the offense. The applicant’s approval for attendance will be at the discretion of the Academy coordinator and Boone Police Department command staff.
For more information regarding the Citizens Police Academy, contact Lieutenant David Osborne at (828) 268-6939.