Do It Yourself Conservation Audit and Commercial Assessments
Do It Yourself Conservation Audit
Thank you for taking your time to fill out an Every Drop Counts Water Conservation Audit. By completing both the Indoor and Outdoor Audits we can get a clearer picture of a consumers water usage. With this information we can offer suggestions and/or tips to help increase water conservation. By completing an audit the resident will have the choice of receiving either an Indoor or Outdoor Water Conservation Kit (This offer only applies to Town of Boone Water Customers). This kit is filled with a variety of water facts, tips and tools to help bolster an at-home conservation program.
Residential Water Conservation Tips:
- Check For Leaks (Indoor and Outdoor)
- Use dye tablets to check for toilet leaks (available at the Public Utilities office ).
- Turn off faucet and place a glass under the faucet, check the glass in 15 minutes. If you have even 1 cup of water, that can equal 300 gallons a month.
- Inspect hoses and sprinklers to make sure there are no leaks.
- Look for standing water in the surface near irrigation system spray head. If you see areas of the lawn that are a brighter green than others, you may have a leak.
- Use Garbage Disposal sparingly. Compost vegetable food waste and save gallons every time.
- Adjust your lawn mower to a higher setting. A taller lawn shades roots and holds soil moisture better than if closely clipped.
- Use sprinklers for large areas of grass and water small spaces by hand. Also, make sure that you are watering the grass and not the driveway or patio.
- Collect water from your roof in a rain barrel to water your garden.
- Don’t use running water to defrost food. Defrost food in the refrigerator for water efficiency and food safety.
- Use a water-efficient showerhead. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and can save you up to 750 gallons a month.
- Turn off the water while you shave and save up to 300 gallons a month.
- When you give your pet fresh water, don’t pour the old water down the drain. Use it to water plants, trees or shrubs.
Town of Boone Conservation Kit Information:
By completing an audit the resident will have the choice of receiving either an Indoor or Outdoor Water Conservation Kit (This offer only applies to Town of Boone Water Customers). This kit is filled with a variety of water facts, tips and tools to help bolster an at-home conservation program.
Indoor Water Conservation Kit Contains:
- One '1.5 gpm Earth Massage Showerhead'
- Two '1.0 gpm Bathroom Sink Aerators'
- One '1.5 gpm Kitchen Swivel Aerator'
- One 'Toilet Water Saver (Fill Cycle Diverter)'
- One 'Toilet Tank Bank'
- Two 'Packets of Dye Tabs' (to test for toilet leaks)
- Neoprene Tape for installment
Outdoor Water Conservation Kit Contains:
- A Moisture Meter
- A Water Saving Garden Hose Sprayer
- Garden Hose Repair Kit
- Water Saving Tips
Commercial Efficiency Assessment Program
The Town of Boone Water Department has started a program to provide free water efficiency assessments to our commercial water consumers. These assessments, performed by volunteer retired engineers and public utilities personnel, are confidential and provide our customers with written recommendations on ways to use water more efficiently. When water is conserved, your facility costs are reduced. The water assessment serves as an excellent tool for pinpointing areas where consumption can be reduced. We are pleased to offer you this customer service tool at no cost.
Periodically the Town of Boone has water conservation education resources available for our commercial water users. *These resources are offered at no charge to our customers and, upon availability, may be picked up at the Public Utilities office. These resources include, but are not limited to, laminated welcome letter from the Mayor to our tourists, refrigerator magnets for apartments, laminated signs for restaurant preparation areas, towel and linen reuse cards for hotel and motels, pens, pencils and balloons. Call today and show your customers that you are a leader in conservation!