The Adopt-A-Flowerbed Program has been created to encourage community volunteerism through recognizing the need and the desirability for beautifully landscaped and maintained flowerbeds within the Town of Boone. In addition to the many existing gardens currently maintained by garden clubs and town staff, this program enables individuals, school groups, civic organizations, businesses, and churches to care for additional green space areas. Through a collaborative effort involving the Town of Boone and flowerbed volunteers, our community will be an inviting and beautiful place that we are proud to call our hometown.
Citizen volunteers are essential in helping achieve the goal of maintaining town flowerbeds. As part of the program, volunteers “adopt” a chosen flowerbed within the town limits. Volunteers must sign the “Adopt-A-Flowerbed Contract” and/or a “Waiver of Liability” prior to participation.
Activities volunteers will conduct during the growing season include the following:
- Perform initial weeding in the spring and continue as necessary at least every two weeks.
- Plant annuals/perennials.
- Inspect flowerbed once a week during the spring, summer, and fall
- Provide own tools for maintenance (limited tools available on checkout basis)
- Consult town staff regarding horticultural advice and issues such as disease,
- insect infestation, etc.
- Prune/pinch back dead foliage and perennial tops
- Keep flowerbed free of litter and debris
- Clean garden edges and spread mulch as needed
Town of Boone’s Responsibilities
The Town’s role in the Adopt-A-Flowerbed Program is to assist in assigning available flowerbeds to volunteer groups and to assist in selecting flowers and providing necessary supplies. We will publicly recognize each group by placing an Adopt-A-Flowerbed sign near their flowerbed. A certificate of appreciation will also be presented. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Provide and install a recognition sign in or near the designated flowerbed exhibiting the adopter's name
- Provide horticultural advice addressing garden related concerns
- Provide annuals/perennials
- Provide mulch for flowerbeds
- Provide gloves upon request
- Prepare (till) the flowerbed for planting upon request
- Remove bagged litter or debris upon request