The Town of Boone Department of Public Works is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Program Coordinator. This employee performs difficult skilled clerical and responsible administrative work providing administrative assistance and coordinating a special program in a department with primary focus on the Water Conservation and Community Improvement areas; does related work as required. Must possess strong public relations and communications skills, both oral and written. Work is performed under regular supervision. Supervision may be exercised over assigned personnel.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; and some light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited community college with major course work in office management or related field and considerable experience in office assistance and administrative work in a municipal function.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
- Managing an office; performing complex administrative office assistance and support tasks; preparing and maintaining a wide variety of documents including financial reports and records; coordinating a specialized program; receiving and screening visitors and telephone calls; preparing and maintaining files and records.
- Coordinates and promotes a special department program or activity such as the Community Improvement Program, Adopt‑A‑Street Program , Community Service Program, Recycling Program or Water Conservation Program;
- May enforces Community Improvement Ordinance; responds to and investigates complaints; determines if property in violation;
- Oversees the Adopt‑A‑Street Program, Recycling Program or Water Conservation Program; prepares and presents program to interested participants; renews contracts;
- Supervises Community Service Work Program; instructs and explains policies and procedures to community service workers; ensures policies and procedures are followed;
- Handles a variety of responsible confidential administrative and technical agency assignments;
- May plan and supervise all office and administrative support activities for department;
- Handles routine complaints independently;
- Maintains a variety of detailed department records;
- Receives, screens and provides visitors information or directs to appropriate persons;
- Assists with the preparation of the department budget and monitors expenditures;
- Plans and arranges meetings and conferences and schedules appointments;
- Composes and types letters and memoranda in conformance with policies independently or from brief instructions;
- Types reports, minutes and other materials using specialized formats and forms;
- Sets up and maintains complex filing systems; maintains confidential personnel and related files;
- Completes forms, records and reports necessary for departmental functions;
- Prepares department payroll; maintains department office supplies; prepares and processes requisitions;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment and office assistance techniques;
- Comprehensive knowledge of department functions, organization and policies;
- Thorough knowledge of business English and spelling;
- Thorough knowledge of the functions, methods, policies and responsibilities of area of specialty;
- Ability to solve problems within scope of responsibility;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates;
- Ability to lay out and type complex forms and tables;
- Ability to make difficult arithmetic calculations;
- Ability to operate data entry and personal computer equipment, type and transcribe dictation at a reasonable rate of speed;
- Ability to use discretion and judgment in the possession of confidential information.
$46,228. Employee will serve a six-month probation
All offers of employment are subject to successful completion of a controlled substance screening, medical examination and extensive background check.
To apply, please fill out the Town of Boone Employment Application
If you prefer a hard copy, please fill out the Town of Boone Employment Application (PDF) and Email Linda Councill the complete application. You can also fax the application to (828) 268-6208, mail the application to P.O. Box 192, Boone, NC 28607 OR return the application to Town Hall at 567 W. King Street in Boone, NC 28607.
TOB is an EOE.
Open Until Filled