Fats, Oils and Grease Program (FOGPP):
Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) introduced into sewer mains is one of the leading causes of blockages creating sanitary sewer overflows. As part of the Town of Boone’s wastewater collection system permit, the State required the Town to develop a program to reduce and/or eliminate FOG discharged into the system. Our program is a combination of education, regulation and enforcement.
Personnel work with field crews to identify problem areas and contact customers to educate them on how to minimize FOG discharged to the system. We work closely with our Building Inspectors to ensure that proper grease interceptor/trap sizing and installation are utilized to help reduce grease FOG discharges. A Fats, Oils, and Grease Section, starting at Chapter 50.440, has been added to Title V of the Town of Boone Water and Sewer Use Ordinance and a Best Management Practices Manual is available from the Jimmy Smith Wastewater Treatment Facility that can assist in achieving the desired goals of our department.
- Food Counters
- Hotel/Lounge Kitchens and Bars
- School Kitchens
- Nursing Home Kitchens
- Day Care Center Kitchens
- Hospital Kitchens
- All Other Establishments where grease can be introduced into the Collection System
Prevention and Good Housekeeping Tips:
- Deposit liquid and solid food scraps into the garbage or composting bin, not the disposal.
- Don't pour hot grease into the drain. Wait for it to cool then dispose of it in the garbage.
- Dry wipe utensils, dishes and other surfaces prior to washing
- Educate your family on proper grease disposal
More information can be found in the Town of Boone Grease Prevention Brochure (PDF) or Email Anna Willis